Monday, August 5, 2013

Monday Made-It and Book Review for Blucy!

Hey all! I don't know about you all, but I am over this start school in August and end in the middle of May-thing. Whatever happened to starting school after Labor Day? With the way weather is now, it's barely summer until July anyway. Who cares if we are in school for 2 weeks of June!

Regardless, I get to meet my sweet kinders tomorrow! We do a special Meet the Teacher with our kindergartners where they come meet us, drop off their supplies, and learn about bus safety! They get to come a week earlier than the other kiddos so they can come all by themselves and feel comfortable :) Then school starts next Tuesday! AHH! I still feel like I have so much to do!!!!!!!!!!

So obviously today, instead of curriculum planning or lesson planning, I crafted! I have two Monday Made-It's to share :)


Monday Made-It #1: 1st Day of K Frame!
I have seen this frame for all grades all over Pinterest and I LOVE IT! I think this is just such a wonderful gift to give parents at the beginning of the year and is a fun picture to put in their memory books at the end of the year :)

It was super easy and actually not that expensive. I bought:
-plain wooden frame (with no finishes) (about $9)
-plain wooden letters (1.49 per letter, about $9)
-black, green, and blue paint ($1 each, about $3)
-cute little wooden bus (50 cents)
-hot glue gun
-foam paintbrush
-clear acrylic sealer (I already had this, so I didn't count it in the price. It's probably not necessary, but I used it just in case!)

So all in all, it was about $20ish to make this. I bought it all at Hobby Lobby. I probably could have found the frame cheaper if I really wanted to or used an old one, but it was easier to get it all in one place.

These are some pictures of the progress. I just did all the work in my garage.




I touched up the paint and hot glued all the letters on. Then I sprayed it with the sealer. Here is the finished product :) I'm SO happy with how it turned out!



Monday Made-It #2: Magnetic Dice Holder!
Once again, I've seen this all over Pinterest, and I knew I had to make one for myself. Now, this was my first attempt at Modge Podge so it didn't turn out quite as well as I had hoped but still super cute!

This one was much cheaper to make! I bought:
-cookie sheet from Dollar Tree ($1)
-green chevron scrapbook paper (50 cents)
-green ribbon ($1)
-small clear tupperware containers
-magnetic tape ($4)
-hot glue gun
-matte Modge Podge
-clear acrylic sealer
-foam paintbrush



I already had the Modge Podge and the sealer, but that would be about an extra $12-15 dollars if you needed to buy it.

I put about 3 coats of Modge Podge and 1 coat of sealer. Besides a few air bubbles that refused to come out, I thought it turned out pretty good!


Then, I got my Tupperware containers and hot glued the magnetic tape to the lid. This is the almost finished product! I didn't bring my dice home, so I'll add it at school tomorrow! My letters are also at school. So I will also be adding a dice sign :)


For the second part of my post, I was asked to do a book review! Blucy is an e-book coming out in a week or so, written by Julia Dweck and illustrated by Erika Lebarre.


It's such a cute story about a little girl who goes to the pound a finds a cat named Lucy. She finds out that this cat changes colors based on its mood, so she renames it Blucy! The book's illustrations are awesome as you see all of the mishaps Blucy gets herself in. She is a very lovable character :) At the end, Mandy discovers a special way to keep Blucy blue forever, but you'll have to buy the book yourself to find out how :)

Blucy is on presale now until 8/12 at 20% off on Amazon. You can buy your copy here :) It's only $3.19! What a bargain! Perfect for your classroom :)

Well I better go finish up everything for Meet the Teacher tomorrow :) I hope everyone's getting excited about their school year!!

Sarah

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover