Monday, July 18, 2011

Time Capsules

Hello fellow educators!

I have been racking my brain to think of cute ideas for the beginning of the year, and I think I thought of a really cute idea! We are going to make time capsules!

I have seen a lot of different ideas on how to make time capsules, but I wanted to make it as easy as possible since it is going to be completed in the first few days of school. So to make it, you will need:
  • A paper towel roll for each child
  • Construction paper, markers/crayons/colored pencils, and tape
  • A time capsule memory sheet
  • Yarn (enough to measure each child)
  • A picture of each child
  • Washable paint
The students will each get a paper towel roll that they will cover with construction paper and color. I am going to pre-cover the rolls and let the students choose the colors they want to save time.

Here is the link to the time capsule memory sheet: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c6X27xVvaZbeI4sdoO_UOXZC52iq2jFYs8hhMBIdhU4/edit?hl=en_US#

I will have the students fill out the questions whole group, and will call each student over individually to measure them with the yarn, take their picture, and do their handprint, while the others are drawing their self-portrait. I will trust the students to tell me how high they can count!

At the end of the day, we will put our time capsules together. This gives the handprints time to dry, and time to develop their pictures. My students will roll up their memory sheet, and place their picture and yarn inside of the tube. The ends will be covered by fabric swatches and rubber bands. After they are closed, we will all write together: DO NOT OPEN UNTIL THE LAST DAY OF FIRST GRADE!

This gives us something fun to do on the last day of school that hopefully the students will have forgotten about! It will be an exciting present!

Enjoy the rest of your Monday,
Sarah

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover